Me Time

I consider myself a hard working person. I currently have two jobs - three, if you count writing books, which I do; I put effort into it, and it makes me money, ergo it's a job. I also have kids and pets and a house that need keeping up. That's work, too. And, I'm not alone in this boat. I think I know more people with two (or more) part-time jobs than full-time ones, as there are more of the former to be had.

Juggling three jobs is frustrating at times. I feel as though I'm being pulled in three directions. My "main" job (the one I've been at for 6+ years and have accrued vacation time with) is pretty flexible with my schedule as long as I am available on Saturdays. My other job is willing to work around the other days of the week, and I fit writing into the little nooks and crannies in between. If I get a few minutes to write, even if it's on the back of a pharmacy bag while standing in line at the grocery store, I'm working on whatever project is in line.

I do not, however, work on Sundays.

Sundays are mine.

Sundays are used for little projects that didn't get tended to during the week. Sundays are for making large pots of soup in the winter that will last several days. Sundays are for Dungeons and Dragons with my friends. Sundays are for afternoon movies with my kids. Sundays are for gardening and Doctor Who. Sundays are for shopping. Sundays are for knocking out a chapter or two when my brain has had a chance to rest and be creative. And sometimes, Sundays are for doing absolutely nothing but hanging out with my dog and watching TV.

I need my Sundays.

I need them for my mental and physical health. I don't owe anyone an explanation as to why I don't work on Sunday. It's mine. End of story. Mine.

If I don't have my Sundays, you will soon learn that I am a worn-out, cranky, sore, pitiful mess of a bitch who is impossible to deal with. YOU need me to have my Sundays, too.

My point is, it's OK for you to have a day, oh best beloved. You have seven to choose from. Pick one. Do Mondays work for you? Maybe Tuesdays are better. You are allowed to make boundaries for yourself, and you do not have to feel bad about it. You are allowed to take care of yourself. There are six other days in the week for you to work (And, I've met some folks from other countries who think it's appalling that most Americans work as much as we do. I agree. But, this is 'Murica, and I need to pay my bills with what the government thinks is already too much per hour.)

Now, on a very rare occasion, I'll work a Sunday for a Super Sale at my main job. BUT. I know about it well in advance. And, I get that Saturday off.

And, for the stay-at-home-parents - you deserve a day, too. You deserve some time to walk away from your children and go for a jog, or enjoy a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or time to just be still.

You work hard.

You deserve a break.

💗

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...

My Arya...