The Powers that Be...

I was having a conversation with a friend earlier today, and mentioned a new show I've been watching... "Revolution". For those who haven't heard of it, it's set in a post-apocalyptic-type world, where electricity is no more, and society has crumbled... Basically, the "Walking Dead" without the zombies. Here, the "good guys" have to deal with a modern day Civil War that's a-brewin', and try to survive the harsh reality that is a world without Hot Pockets and Wi-Fi.

And this got me thinking ...

We'll overlook, temporarily, that governments and societies would crumble, that nuclear power plants would explode and radiation would seep into everything, that ninety percent of people you have ever known would probably die from starvation, disease and murder.

In my household, in the first 10 - 15 minutes of a power outage (and take my word for this, as it has actually happened) my daughter is the first person to go completely insane. She still has power on her cell phone, and texts EVERY PERSON SHE KNOWS about her dire straits. Of course, in the show, "Revolution", cellular service is cut off at the same time as power... if this ever happened, I'm sure Fourteenyearold Girl would slip into a coma and die.

I think the next two would be the boys, Soontobeteenage Boy and Nineyearold. I'm sure they would stand in disbelief for a few minutes, before throwing the X-box controller on the floor in protest. Then, as boys do, they might grab a couple flashlights and construct a rudimentary fort out of their bunk beds. They would probably spend some time inventing a power generator out of Legos, and then move on to bigger and better things once they realize it won't work. For example, how many ways they can annoy their older sister.

I've been through power outages plenty of times before. Last summer, we had a Derecho fly through this area, and we lost power for about six days... which was tame compared to some folks that lived outside of town, who had to be without electricity for several weeks. I was amazed at what I was truly not prepared for ... I had just purchased about a hundred and fifty dollars worth of meat for the freezer - which we promptly took to my parents house to throw on the grill... that wasn't so bad, except for the aftermath of trying to digest so much steak, pork and chicken. Thank goodness the water was still working, and the toilets flushed.

At that time, I was working at an animal shelter, which is rough and extremely sweaty work - double that, as there was no running air conditioning there.  Did I mention I'm not really fond of cold showers? Too bad. But, hey, at least I got clean. My parents live on the outskirts of town, and use a well, which requires a pump that uses - you guessed it - electricity. So, they had to make a daily trip here to get water and shower, and do the "I Love Lucy" grape-stomp in the tub with our dirty laundry.  In exchange, the Manpanion and I stayed overnight in their cool log cabin, as opposed to my sweltering hot Victorian with a tin roof.

Anyway, back to "Revolution" ....

I'm up to about episode 10 of season 1, and find myself wondering if I would be able to make it for 15 years without electricity... I'm sure, at first, I would struggle and whine and complain about it, but human beings have a way of adjusting to harsh situations. Well, the strong ones do. I think I would consider myself a strong person. I'm certainly intelligent enough to learn to cope with a new way of living... I know that I could find a way to provide for me and my children; as much as I don't like the thought of having to kill my own food, if it came down to it, I'd just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done.

I can live without cell phones, computers, and television (although, I would seriously miss "Doctor Who"). I also have no problem defending myself against anyone who means me harm. It's said that the most dangerous place in the world is the space between a woman and her child. You bet. Don't even attempt to go there. I will hurt you.

I think of all the post-apocalyptic shows I've seen, the first place people break into is the grocery store. Note to self: While the rest of the world is at Kroger's killing each other over the last Kit-Kat bar, be sure to head to the local library to read up on first-aid and animal husbandry... you'll be needing this later. For now, you'll have to live off the last two sleeves of saltines and that stash of candy you've been hiding from the children.

Realistically, however, if the power should go out as it does in "Revolution", 99% of the human race would probably die of radiation poisoning, due to fallout from exploding nuclear power plants in the first six months, or so...

And, what are your thoughts, oh Best Beloved?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...

This one's for the dogs...