This one's for the dogs...

Last week I started a new job at my local humane society - a job I've been waiting for since I applied in the beginning of March - and, even over the course of just a week, I am amazed at how very humbling working at a place like this can be.

Sure, I've been to the shelter several times... most recently to adopt our newest family member, Delaney. ( A rigorous undertaking because of her Pit Bull breeding) But, a simple stroll past the kennels does not do it justice. To glance at the sad faces, eager pups, barkers, super-barkers, cute kittens, sultry cats and the timid poopers before going on one's merry way gives very little insight into what a facility like this is really about.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

I work part-time, so I only get to be there a few days a week... and, I have been assigned to the "dog side" ... (there is a "cat side", which I get to walk through in the morning, but that's pretty much all I do on that side of the building).  First thing in the morning, we clean. And clean. And scour. And clean. And disinfect... you get the idea. I'm a little slower at it than my colleagues, but I'll pick up the pace once I've gotten a hang of things. Dogs are messy... especially when they spend their shelter lives in a kennel... (To some, this may seem a bit depressing, but with the number of dogs, it is a necessity. Yes, I would love to have a comfy couch, playthings and treats for every dog there, but that's just not realistic.) For the most part, Doggie poops in one corner and leaves it be ... then, there are the flingers and finger-painters; you know, the ones that smear crap EVERYWHERE...  Extrasuperscrubbing. It may seem a bit strange, but this is my favorite part of the job... let me explain...

These animals spend the majority of their time in said kennels, so when I (or one of the other attendants) come in to clean it's Uberhumanbondingtime ... There's just nothing like spraying suds from the enclosures with one hand, and having the other licked generously by it's occupant ... I would take that as a "thank you" ... sometimes they even hug you... seriously.The ones that really melt my heart are the "leaners"... these are the souls who park themselves by your leg and just recline against you ... I think, in some way, they are just happy to have a visitor - a companion, if you will - on which to rest, instead of a lonely concrete floor.

By the time my shift is over, I feel a certain accomplishment ... not only from a job done well, but I know that I spent a part of my life making someone else comfortable; I made their day just a little better... these poor souls that land there through a great many circumstances... without doubt through no fault of their own. I look very forward to dragging my sore behind back there tomorrow morning. Yes, the smell will probably hit me like a brick (don't worry, it doesn't last long, ~scrubby scrubby~)... and it's loud...no... it's LOUD... they're very excited. If one starts barking, they all start barking... it's a competition, you know. (How many places have you worked where, upon entering the building, you hear "YOU'RE HERE!! YOU'RE REALLY REALLY HERE! WE MISSED YOU!!" ...not many, I expect...)

Here's where you come in, dear reader. There are simply not enough hours in the day for staff - not just here, but all over the U.S. - to clean everything, take care of sick animals, monitor those with special diets or special needs, etc etc AND do things like take Little Snookums for walkies. I would love to be able to take each and every dog out for playing/social time, and I do plan to spend some time there off the clock, but I am only one person. I'm not sure what the guidelines are at your local shelter, but most places would be more than happy to have you as a volunteer.  A great deal of these dogs would benefit from some "rec time in the yard" ... In fact, it would probably make them more adoptable should they become more accustomed to contact with human beings. So, please take an hour or two out of your busy schedule this week and visit your local shelter - for them and for you.


This is Delaney... the scratch on her nose is a gift from the cat... she shouldn't have tried to ride him down the stairs...

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you're enjoying your time working at the animal shelter. I worked at one in Maine for a year. I have many fond memories of animals I found homes, advocated for, nursed back to health... and also so many not so fond memories that I won't recollect here and sincerely hope you never, ever have to see where you're working. Delaney is so lucky to have you and is absolutely adorable by the way. I've got a soft spot for pits myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. I think animals from the shelter are the most loving of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! A confirmed cat-woman (just look at the blog name for proof) who works on the "dog-side" (hmmm....sounds a bit like "dark side") at the local SPCA. Little do the dogs know, eh? Love the piece and your genuine attention to the most important details....the animals and the care they need and deserve!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...