Too Darn Hot!

****
This was first published on my other blog page on 6/13/11

****

The first day of summer is creeping upon us here in the northern hemisphere, and we have the temperatures to prove it. This morning when I woke, just before nine in the morning, it was already 82 degrees, and muggy to boot. So, without further ado, we'll cover a few things meant to beat the heat.

My first summer savior is, of course, the air conditioner. If you have the luxury of central cooling in your home, kudos to you... but my family uses window units. Not that I'm complaining, after all, last summer all I had were fans. I have 2 small Kenmore models, and one Frigidaire... and all three have been running at full capacity for the last couple of weeks, and I must say I love them dearly.

We put the Frigidaire model in our daughter's room. It's simple to operate, and runs quietly...which is great when one doesn't have to turn up the stereo full blast in order to hear the music.

The other two bedrooms have the Kenmore models, both with a remote and digital display. They run slightly louder than the Frigidaire, but it's great having the remote for the middle of the night when I don't want to walk through the boys' room to turn it up or down and break my neck stepping on Legos and Matchbox cars. It's also handy during those moments of laziness where even the thought of moving is exhausting.
Both models cost under $150, and both are energy efficient; they do an excellent job of keeping our 1200 square foot (and somewhat drafty) home comfortably cool. With three small window units running almost 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I have noticed a small rise in my electricity bill, but not so much that it's going to break the bank.

Next, a cool drink. I love iced tea in the summer... and here in the South, it's a staple in most households. I do, however, enjoy mine sans sugar, but have been known to add lemon or mint to the mix. Powdered teas are alright, but I prefer freshly brewed... fresh tea has a better taste, I think... crisper and more refreshing. However, standing over a boiling tea kettle on a hot day is not what I had in mind. Last summer I purchased a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker at Kroger's on sale for less than twenty dollars, and have all but worn it out. As you can see from the photo, it's very well loved.


It works very much like a coffee maker... put some water in, add tea bags to the cup on top (or a coffee filter with loose tea)... then fill the pitcher with ice cubes and turn it on. Ten minutes later, frosty-cold brewed iced tea! I like that there's the option to flavor your tea with a variety of ingredients... with sun-tea pitchers, it's very difficult to make the drink with anything outside of a tea bag and floating debris... here, I can add tea to fresh mint leaves, or lemon slices/juice, sliced kumquats, etc. etc, right into the brewing cup, and empty it all out into the garbage with ease when the tea is done. Another plus is that during the winter, the brewing machine fits nicely into the pitcher for better storage. On the downside, you have to be very careful about making sure that while it's brewing, the pitcher spout is pushed all the way in, or you'll end up with drips on the counter. Other than that, I highly recommend it.

Next for this review, we have Coppertone Sport Sunscreen - Clear Continuous spray. I get the 100+ SPF for my fair-skinned family. I wasn't aware that the name Tennessee was code for "surface of the sun" when we moved here, so I've taken extra precautions to keep from having pain-stricken lobster children.
I love the convenience of a spray sunscreen, and Coppertone does not contain nasty CFC's that deplete the ozone layer. (I didn't see any indication that the canister can be recycled, though. I'll have to take this to the recycling center once it's empty, and I'll get back to you on this). As for sun protection.. I've used this so far with no sunburns, so it must be doing something right. This spray, at about $7-8 a can, allows me to cover the kids in a matter of minutes, and with it being water and sweat resistant, I don't have to reapply it every half-hour. It's also great when you don't have someone else to put lotion on your back... just angle it over your shoulder, and spray. I do not recommend using this product directly on the face, as indicated in the directions on the back... and it is for use on children older than six months. For the face, I suggest the creamy sunscreen with a good SPF factor, like Avon Clearskin Professional Oil-Free Lotion. If you put a little on in the morning and let it settle in, you can use makeup right on top of it without smearing and smudging your look. I got this tube on special for about six bucks. I only need a few drops each day, so it's not even 1/4 used after about three weeks.

So, I've listed four products this time, instead of the usual three... let's just call it a bonus. Enjoy your summer, and stay cool!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...

This one's for the dogs...