Tips for adopting a fur-baby

This coming holiday season, we have a bit more traffic at the shelter. A lot of folks stop in to see the dogs and cats, and some even take one home, which is fantastic. However, some of them come right back again, because the adopters didn't get what they expected....

So, here's a list I've compiled to help those who want to bring home a new, fuzzy family member, and what they should look for BEFORE making a commitment. Adopting an animal is a lifetime commitment, and should be a carefully thought out procedure.

1. Make your own list of what YOU want in your home. Ask yourself : Am I ready to have my belongings peed on, pooped on, chewed up and covered with hair? How much time am I willing to commit on a daily basis to caring for this animal? Will this pet be a strictly indoor pet, or do I have the means to allow this dog or cat to roam freely/in a fenced in area for a little while? Do I have the financial funding to properly care for this furry creature? What is the purpose for getting this dog/cat... do I want a dog for protection, someone to go hunting, to play with my children, or someone I can exercise with, etc.? Do I want a baby, or an animal that is fully grown? Will they get along with my other pets and children?

2. (and, this is VERY important) Discuss your needs and wants with the people who spend the majority of their time with the animals at the shelter. We currently have between 40 and 50 dogs at our shelter, and twice as many cats. The fine women I work with and myself are the ones that see these dogs/cats day in, and day out. We are also the ones that the dogs know and trust. We are privy to their personality quirks, what they eat every day, any health problems they may have, what kinds of toys they like, etc. etc. Yes, our manager knows them to a degree, but the kennel attendants are the ones that know these animals better than anyone. (I must say, though, with all the paperwork my manager has to deal with, I don't envy her job one bit... mad props to her for having to deal with all that.)

3. Don't overlook the older dogs/cats. Yes, puppies and kittens are cute, and some may consider them a "clean slate", but that isn't always the case. We have a great deal of adult dogs that would make a fantastic addition to your home.  I, personally, prefer to adopt an older dog. Their bodies are fully developed, meaning they have a more regulated bowel schedule. Puppies have little control over when they need to poop and pee, so, unless you are prepared to constantly mop your kitchen floor, consider a dog that will be easier to potty train. Yes, there will be "accidents" ... but, I've found that it's so much easier to housebreak adult dogs. On a rare occasion, we get dogs that are already trained... it doesn't happen often, but we do our best to make sure these dogs use the bathroom outdoors on a regular basis. Also, keep in mind that your feeding schedule may be different than ours, and that takes some getting used to for both parties.

 Some of these dogs and cats, unfortunately, come from a bad situation. They may have been abused or neglected, resulting in a lack of trust in humans, which is not unreasonable. It may take some time, but with patience and understanding, you may take that shy dog or cat into a loving home, and you'll find that you have a wonderful companion. Put yourself in their "shoes" ... how would you feel if you had been chained up in the yard, with the only human contact being dinner time? Would you trust someone who beat you? Probably not. But, even people get "burned" and become distrustful of others, but think of those folks you can confide in, and how very close they are to you.

4. The behavior you see in the kennel, is not necessarily what they will display in your home. We'll take my dog, Arya, as an example. A shelter is a very noisy place... Those of us who work there often don noise-cancelling headphones in order to prevent hearing loss. When one dog barks, they all do. Arya was a noise machine. She threw her body against the sides of the kennel and jumped constantly. Why? She was bored. She's a high-energy dog, and living in an 8x4 cell was driving her to the brink. There was nothing else to do but bark and jump. She was also on the skinny side ... and, I know she was eating plenty of food, but with little exercise, there was no opportunity to build any muscle. However, I saw lots of potential in this little, brown hound dog... so, I brought her home. At first, she didn't get along with my other dogs ... after all, she probably had to compete for food before animal control brought her to us, so other dogs - at that point - were a threat.

Fast-forward to today... Arya and my other dogs get along swimmingly... in fact, She and Delaney slept cuddled together last night. She's even learned that I don't approve of her chasing the cats. She doesn't bark much, unless she sees a stranger approaching the house, or if I get her to "speak"... she does this funny "roo-roo-rooooo" when she wants a cookie. When she's not having fun in the back yard, she is usually right by my side in the house. Even if I get up to use the restroom, she parks herself outside the door to wait for me, then follows me like a shadow wherever I go. We also walk... a lot. As I said, she is high-energy, so she needs to have a positive outlet for all that energy. By the time we're done with our daily walk, she's too tired to get into trouble. She does what I ask of her; Arya has proved to be a very loyal companion. We got to where we are now -six months later- through patient, consistent, quiet authority. She knows I am in charge... I am her pack leader. She knows what is expected of her, and in return she gets shelter, food, exercise, and a sense of well-being.

5. What kind of energy level are you looking for in your pet? If you want a dog that will sit on the couch and watch movies with you, then a high-energy dog is not for you. If you have an active family that likes to play football in the yard, or go hiking, a low-energy dog won't be able to keep up. If I don't give Arya the exercise she needs, it will probably result in her tearing up my house. Arya (age 1.5) is the kind of dog that can go for miles and miles ... and, weather permitting, we walk about 2-3 miles, or have a long "play session" on days that going outdoors isn't viable. Delaney (age 4), our pit bull, is a medium-energy dog... When we go hiking, she needs a bit of a rest after the first mile or two. Pit bulls are built for quick bursts of energy, rather than stamina. Tipper (age 6), my cardigan corgi mix, is a low/medium energy dog... she's perfectly content with a stroll down the street and back, then a nice nap in a patch of sunshine. The pedigree of a dog sometimes is a factor in what kind of energy they posses, and we try to determine what breed is most dominant in our shelter dogs. However, the majority of these dogs are mixed. Arya is a Heinz-57. ( I would love to get my hands on one of those doggie DNA tests to unravel the mystery of her parentage. She very closely resembles a Black Mouth Cur) But, even within the same breed of dog, the energy levels vary. Some pit bulls, for example, are wound very tight, and need a lot of exercise, while others, like Delaney, are happy with a little play time and a short walk.

6. What size dog best suits your situation? Cats, while they do vary in size, generally fit in the "small" category, so it's easy to estimate how large they will get. Dogs, on the other hand, can be as small as a few pounds (fully grown) to over a hundred. At our shelter, with puppies, we "guesstimate" how large they will become, but with mixed breeds it can be difficult to say. What looks like a Labrador puppy, may only get to be 20 pounds, or so... and puppies that appear to be, say, a Daschund, may become larger than expected. This is why I highly recommend adult dogs, because they have finished growing; what you see is what you get.

Also, having a large dog doesn't necessarily mean you need to have a big house. My first dog was an Irish Wolfhound, and grew to be around 120 pounds as an adult, but she got all the space she needed during the day, as my father runs marathons and trains on a daily basis. Once she was home, she was content to relax on her pillow, and rarely got in the way of whatever foot traffic carried on. What matters is what you are comfortable with. Perhaps you travel a lot, and the best size dog is one that will fit nicely into a travel-carrier, or maybe you're like me, and like a dog with some size. My cousin drives a rig all over the country, and his companion, Roscoe the Magnificent, is a small-medium dog, who enjoys riding "shotgun" and seeing the world, which is perfect for his situation.

7. Who is going to be caring for this pet on a daily basis? I was brought up to believe that having a pet was a family affair. Everyone took part in the daily care of our cats (we didn't get a dog until I was in high-school, as my sister is very allergic to them). We all cleaned out the litter box, fixed meals, cleaned up barf on the floor, and disposed of the occasional mouse or sparrow "present". When Colleen, the Irish Wolfhound, came along, I loved coming home from school and taking her out for a romp in the woods behind our house. Most importantly, we were all on the same page, as a family. When dad got Colleen, I was handed a dog-training book to study. Understandably, he wanted to be sure that she didn't get mixed signals; one command from this person, and a different command from another would be confusing. There were also rules set in place for her care. For example, "no table scraps" was a biggie. (A. Because we didn't want her begging at the dinner table, B. There are lots of "people" foods that can be very toxic to dogs/cats, and C. Obesity is not just a human issue) Make sure everyone in your household knows what to expect, and what is expected of them ... this will certainly make things easier on your family as well as your pet.

8. Ask the people who work at the shelter LOTS of questions. The main reason we are there is to make sure these animals get a good home. We care about them all, as if they were ours. We want for you to make a smart decision about adopting, so that everyone is happy. You are not wasting our time by asking a lot of questions, and we appreciate your interest and inquiry.

 I consider myself a very straight-forward person; I don't like to "sugar coat" things... So, if I think a dog will not be a good match for your environment, I'm going to tell you that (provided I am aware of what your situation is). I don't want to send you home with a high-strung dog that may scratch or nip at your children. I don't want you to adopt a 200 pound mastiff that hates cats, and may kill yours. It's probably not a good idea to send a shy cat to a home full of rowdy children... You catch my drift?

......

I think adopting a pet is a wonderful idea, provided you are prepared. Are you willing to dedicate yourself to this pet for the rest of their lives? Are you willing to be there when your dog or cat is elderly, riddled with arthritis, or sick? Are you ready to deal with the heartbreak that comes with losing a friend when they die? I have been through the emotional upset of being with my pets as they took their last breaths, and it is difficult, but I'm so very glad that they spent those last years of their lives in comfort ... loved. I would do it again a hundred times over. Wouldn't you?

See you at the shelter, oh Best Beloved :)

Arya

Tipper

Delaney


Bo

Jane

Alice

Sherlock






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...

This one's for the dogs...