The Mother's Day Diet...

Today was the day we commemorate the lovely ladies who are giving or have given care to any number of human beings spewed forth into this world by any variety of ways. Yes. Mother's Day... declared a national holiday way back when by President Wilson, I believe.

Typically, one receives flowers on such an occasion. Perhaps even a card, and the ever popular ImadethisatschoolbecauseIloveyouandmyteachertoldusto gift from young 'uns. For those who can afford it, some mothers get jewelry, or a nice electronic device or even a new car. What is my favorite gift, you ask? I'll tell you. A clean house, an extra hour in bed and for someone to serve me a meal. Preferably breakfast. This year, however, my husband is working in Tennessee and I am here with the children by myself. They spoke of making eggs, bacon, toast, etc. for me - a grand breakfast for anyone - but, I had to lay down the law.

"Please do not use any appliance that heats up without my supervision."

"But we want to surprise you with breakfast!" ...here is where the disappointment that could melt any one's heart kicks in... but I must stand firm.

"First," I said "it's not really a surprise if you tell someone about it, and second, I don't want anyone to get hurt or the house to get burned down. So, wake me up, and we'll make it together."

*sniff sniff* "OK, mom." :(

My alarm went off at 8 o'clock this morning and I could hear shuffling in the kitchen, but no odd smells - good sign. The eleven year old and her friend were still asleep after a long night of giggling and nail polishing. So, I went downstairs and was greeted in the hallway by the I'll-be-six-next-week old boy.

"HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!" He grabs my hand and leads me back to my computer desk where I am met by Mr. Nine-year-old.

"We turned your computer on, but I didn't know the password... And, heeeeeeeere's your breakfast!"

Lo and Behold ... Special-K (without milk, because the refrigerator is locked), an apple, a Kashi bar, and four sugar-free chocolate chip cookies. THIS is the breakfast of champions. At least, it made me feel that way ... until I sat in my computer chair. squish.

"Sorry, Mom. Nathan accidentally spilled water in your chair." Thanks for the heads-up.

I love my kids :)
Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...

This one's for the dogs...