A mediocre day gone terribly odd...

I would have written this last night, but I feel if I had it wouldn't have made much sense. So, here we are.

I think in the grand scheme of things, yesterday's events were not so bizarre. However, given that they happened strung together and to a handful of people puts them into the whatdidIdotodeservethisday? category.

For starters, I spent the wee hours of the morning relaying phone calls from my sister - stuck in an airport in Detroit - to my Aunt in Rotterdam. She was supposed to be heading for the Netherlands for a little "vaca", alas Mother Nature has burped in Iceland again, making it difficult for planes to fly in that corner of the world. Her cell phone company would have had a lovely payday should she attempt the call herself, so she reached out to a family member that would, most likely, be awake - me. Don't get me wrong, though, I am more than happy to do my best to help out my family any way I can.

So, by two in the morning I was exhausted enough to crawl into my bed and fall asleep - no Sookie Stackhouse to kick-start any dreams tonight. At least I got four hours of sleep before I had to get up and get three tired, whiny children dressed and ready to catch the school bus. I decided beyond that to take a short nap before making my way to Roanoke to bring my grandmother to her eye doctor appointment. I fell asleep quickly, as you can imagine, but was interrupted thrice. The first call came from my sister - still in Detroit - letting me know she was about to board a plane and head home. No sense in waiting on a flight to Holland only to spend one day there and come back. The second call came from my husband... I don't mind that he called, in fact, I like when he calls. But, his ringtone (36 "D'ohs" ala Homer Simpson) nearly jolted me right out of my skin. On my third attempt at sleep my daughter called me from school. Lucas forgot his lunchbox, and could I please bring it to school? No. He can just grab whatever servings of grease and cheese they have on the menu and I'll pay for it tomorrow. I don't think he minded at all - pizza vs. salad...hmmmm.

I give up.

I got dressed, brushed my hair, ate a banana and drove up the street to collect Grandma. The hour drive to the Star City was a bit of a blur. Our family matron is notorious for regurgitating stories so often that they've begun to lose shape. Once we got there I decided to take a short nap in the car instead of my usual downtown shopping expedition - after all, it was raining.

After her appointment was done, she took me to lunch. Nothing special there, just a nice taco salad.

Still raining, but a bit harder now.

We stopped at Lowe's to pick up a replacement strawberry plant for my son ($10.50!!!) and as we were leaving the parking lot, a woman began frantically waving her arms at me before pointing at my front tire. Crap.

Yup. It was flat.

I was given directions to a service station down the street that could assist me, and (luckily) it was close enough that I was not in need of a tow truck. Here's where my girl-power-feminist side went straight out the window. Here we were, an eighty-four year old and a mother of three - now soaked to the core ... please take pity on us. The nice, young man jacked up the car, and filled the tire with air to locate the leak, and (with some help from a pair of needle-nosed pliers) and pulled out the culprit - a bone shard.

Eh?

I was expecting perhaps a nail or a piece of glass, since it went flat in the parking lot of a hardware store. But, a bone? Weird.

Tire plugged. Mechanic Man saves the day. Huzzah!

The drive home went off without a hitch, and this morning it still holds air (knock on wood). I told my good friend at the grocery store what happened and he asked me if I thought someone was angry at me enough to wish me harm.(Metaphysically, so to speak) Geez, I hope not. Cripes.

Well, at least today has turned out to be painfully dull, thank goodness.

So, how was your day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...

This one's for the dogs...