... And so it begins ....

Yesterday I made a promise to myself and others that I would start making some changes in my hum-drum life. So, I've been going over in my head what types of things need improvement, so - in no particular order - they are the following :

A. I need to spend more time with my kids.
B. I need to lose weight.
C. I need to pay better attention to the state of my home. (i.e. clean it)
D. I think I spend too much time at the computer/tv
E. I need to finish my book.

I doubt I would be very successful should I take on all of these at once, but I DO think that some of these could be manages simultaneously. For example, the kids and I could spend time working on keeping the house clean - after all, they helped make it a mess. A couple months ago I made an artsy-fartsy chore chart, but it's collecting dust at the moment. Time to put it back into play.

As far as food goes - I really love food. No, I mean I LOVE food. However, I have a habit (like so many others) of eating in front of the tv and computer. The two activities have become pretty much synonymous. So... not only will I be cutting back on the starchy stuff, but I'm making a rule for myself - no eating unless it is at the dining room table - thus cutting back on the ammount of food I'm eating PLUS the time I spend staring at a screen.

So, here are a few rules I've made for myself:

1. The aforementioned rule of only eating at the dining room table (save for the special occasion of eating out with the family)
2. The chore chart will be implemented every day.
3. I will do at least 30 minutes of physical activity with my kids every day.
4. I will stop whatever it is that I'm doing and help them with thier homework - not just checking it when they are finished.
5. I will walk Dexter the dog (a.k.a. Fatty four-legs) every weekday morning, instead of going back to bed - weather permitting.
6. I will spend some time writing my book every day, whether it's for 10 minutes or 10 hours.
7. Online games and social networking are going to have to take a serious cutback.

That's a lot of rules.

I have my own conditions, though....

a.) I will NOT give up World of Warcraft. I will, however, not play for 12+ hours each day.
b.) If I have to change the way I eat, so does everyone else in this household. I am not a short-order cook, and I don't make special meals to cater to each individual... unless they are sick.
c.) I will not completely give up the foods I like... at this point I'm just "downsizing"
d.) I refuse to weigh myself. Uh-uh. Not gonna happen.
e.) I WILL allow myself to have something to drink whilst at the computer ... dungeon raids can make a gal thirsty. But, no worries - my drink of choice is unsweetened iced tea.

and... that's it.... so far.
Here we go.......

Comments

  1. A good list, and not unreasonable. I don't have anything quite so structured but I'm working towards a better diet, keeping more active, reading more non-fiction, writing a LOT more, and dedicating a couple of hours a week to domestic chores that have been left by the wayside for far too long.

    Here's hoping...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trichy Stuff...

Oooh, Ooh, Witchy Woman...

This one's for the dogs...